Sunday, April 22, 2007

But What Have You Woven Lately?

I finally wove off the piece that was on Gary. A funny thing happened on the way to the washing machine. As often happens, my weavings decide to pose for a glamor shot. I'll have another after laundering. This piece is a meditation shawl commission, Woven Words, bambu 12 warp and variegated 1300 rayon chenille weft.
Meanwhile, what is happening on Grace? Here is panel #2 of the Bamboo/Cashmere blanket about half woven. The way I am thinking now, there will be a total of 7 panels: three 20" panels and four 10" panels. Of course, this plan could change after I make a 10" test panel. One of the challenges of this particular blanket is I have decided to make this a spontaneous design---no writing anything down. I became inspired by these weavers from Borneo who create amazing complex ikat cloth. They write nothing down. The designs come to them in a dream. I saw a display of the cloth along with music and a moving lecture.

Here's a taste of what is about to happen on Gary. I'll have some closeups that will give you some insight on my designing process. The warp chains are coming right from the warping board to the loom. You can see the warping board lurking in the background. I know it's hard to see what is going on, but all will be revealed. I still have 3 or 4 more little chains to wind. There will be 17 chains altogether.
I end my post this evening with another more orderly detail of the bamboo/chenille shawl.

It felt really good to spend the day in the studio.

No comments: