Thursday, February 12, 2009

Out of the Washer and into the Dryer


Above: before laundering---Below: after laundering


I don't usually measure, so this was interesting for me. The Many Shades of Hope
just off the loom measured 28" wide x 146" long. After washing in cold water on gentle, it measured 27" wide x 138" long. Just out of the dryer (delicate, low heat), it measured 25" wide x 124" long.

Cashmere come from a goat and is not like merino wool. It doesn't felt. (easily) I found this out from a friend of mine who was trying to get cashmere to felt by washing in the machine and drying in the dryer. She was having trouble getting the sweaters to felt up so she could cut and sew them into patchwork scarves.

Here is another interesting tip I learned from another weaver in my guild. Put 3 tennis balls in the dryer, and the weaving doesn't become all twisted up and wrinkled. I am waiting for my next door neighbors to complain about all the drumming, but it really makes a huge difference.

I know it is scary to toss a weaving into washer and even scarier into the dryer, but try it with a sample first.

The first time I put a merino wool blanket in a front loading washer on regular wash cycle and watched in horror as it shrunk 40% before my very eyes taught be a valuable lesson. Somewhere I have pictures. I'll have to see if I can find them while I continue looking for the missing piece of paper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to admit, I would never have thought of putting cashmere into the dryer due to the shrinkage factor. However, I truly think I like the look after being dried. It looks stunning.

Meg said...

My yarn source keeps telling me I don't have to treat my cashmere with kid gloves, (ha, ha!) but I need a stiff drink WHEN (not if) I do this experiment. Thanks, Bonnie, for the pointers.